Saturday, August 27, 2016

Now Teaching High School, Looking For Some Feedback

I just finished my first week as a high school art teacher. I regret that I do not have any pictures for this post, but that is partially why I am posting. I am not sure what to do with this blog right now. I am reluctant to just keep posting as usual, because everything on here has been geared toward elementary. I hope that this blog has been a resource that has helped someone. Therefore I do not want to remove it, or it's content. It seems to me that the best thing to do is start a new blog for the new job. In doing so, I was hoping to get some feedback on here of suggestions. What did I do well on this blog? What could I have done better? Any thoughts on what would work well for a high school blog? What do y'all find helpful from art teacher blogs? Is there an angle/pitch that I could take that would better benefit others?

By the way, my first week was awesome. Full of the changes that come with starting over, but I have had more meaningful engagements with students then I felt I was having in the elementary environment. I feel that I am being able to better reach students at their level, and that is rewarding in such a great way; one I had not previously experienced. I am teaching all three AP studio classes (2-D,3-D, and Drawing), as well as 3 sections of art 1 and 2 sections of Art 2 and 3 combined.

I have some amazing students and can't wait to share what they are doing. I am making a big push to have open ended art problems for them to solve as my lesson plans. I t is taking some getting used to for them, because it is different than how they have been taught. To be honest, it is taking some getting used to for me too. For the ones that are starting to catch on, in this first week, I see huge lightbulbs above there heads. Once they all see the possibilities, I have faith that the creativity will begin flooding the room.

Again, this post is one of looking for feedback.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to read about how your lessons have changed and how you are adapting to teaching high school. All of it is so very different and there may be other people looking to change grade levels but dont know what to expect. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addressing the change to high school to an audience that might be thinking about the same is something I have not thought of. Thanks Sheryl. I love that.

      Delete